Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Waiting Continues....

I think one of the most difficult aspects of being a waiting adoptive parent (besides the waiting) is what I call "The Inquisition." I know people mean well, they want to know if we've heard anything, how much longer do we have to wait, why is it taking so long? I feel like a broken record sometimes. "Yes, it does take a long time, No we don't have an exact date, Chinese adoptions have slowed down considerably due to various factors" etc. I guess hearing myself say the same answers over and over just re-enforce how difficult the wait really is. Not to mention that I seem to be seeing children EVERYWHERE. I kind of felt this way after each of our failed fertilization attempts. It's an empty feeling that gets worse as time passes. I wonder how other adoptive parents cope? Sometimes I wish we didn't tell anyone about our plans. I just got sick of hearing "when are you having a baby?" and "don't wait too long." Instead of just saying we could not have children it was easier to say we are adopting. I almost hate going to family get togethers or parties because I know it's inevitable that one of us will be cornered and asked what's going on with the adoption.

If anything, this whole experience has made me more sensitive to others. I sat next to a girl in class last week who was very pregnant. I did not try to rub her belly or ask all kinds of questions. We worked together brainstorming on a class project and got a lot accomplished. I wonder if I had asked her when she was due if that would have left her open to tell her whole life story, which I could not bear to hear. I was hoping she just wanted to be a student like me that evening an not suffer though an inquisition from a complete stranger.

No comments: