Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I find Mother's day to be kind of difficult. My mom passed away in 1999. Today is just another reminder that she died too young. Then I think about my own battle with infertility and my heart aches even more. I try to focus on the positives: all the amazing women in my life who are mothers and who play such an important role in my world. I think of my Aunt Cindy, who at my age was widowed with an 8 year old daughter. Her sheer will and determination to keep her child's life as close to normal as possible. Putting her own life on hold while being a single parent. Holding down a house and all the drama and expenses that come along with such a responsibility, again on her own. I think about my mother-in-law who sends me birthday cards entitled "To our daughter." How she refers to be as one of her kids and treats me with the same love, compassion, understanding and support as she does her own flesh and blood. I also think of an unknown woman in China who will give up her own daughter so that I might be a mother myself. These women humble me. I can only pray that I learn from them and the example they have shown me.

Happy Mother's Day

No comments: